Monday, April 29, 2013

Dark Chocolate-Orange Cake

You can never go wrong with chocolate cake. To make variety, I like to add hint of orange or mint in my chocolate cake. I have modified this chocolate cake recipe to accommodate the new flavor. With its quick and super easy recipe you can never go wrong, plus I love that the additional flavor is not artificial, rather it is fresh and purely natural. The cake is very rich and chocolaty, soft, light and very moist with orange hint. My kids love it, I usually bake half of the batter in 9" round pan and use the remaining batter to make cupcakes so my kids could eat it while I frost the round cake else there will be nothing to frost anymore.

Here is my recipe for the chocolate orange cake.


Dark Chocolate-Orange Cake
Ingredients:

2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups flour
3/4 cup baking cocoa (I use Hintz dutch processed cocoa and it makes a lot of difference)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling fresh milk
1 orange, zest the skin and squeeze the juice to add flavor to your cake


1. Preheat oven to 350F.

2. Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda. Add sugar,salt, eggs, 1 cup of buttermilk, oil, vanilla, and orange zest and juice. Mix for 2 minutes, then add the boiling milk and stir until well combined.
3. Transfer the cake batter to 9x13" pan or 2 10" pan and bake for 40 minutes or until toothpick tests done.
4. Cool and frost with your favorite frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment